Alan C. Eidsness
Alan C. Eidsness brings integrity, respect for others, and well-reasoned advocacy to every interaction, whether at a client meeting, settlement conference, hearing or trial. As a skilled litigator and negotiator, Alan’s level of clarity and precision is difficult to match. His clients rely on his advice in the valuation and disposition of their assets and for the safeguarding of their best interests.
He is the first family law attorney in Minnesota to be inducted into the American College of Trial Lawyers. Membership in that organization is limited to less than 1 percent of any state’s attorneys and to those lawyers who have shown themselves to be not only skilled trial lawyers but who are also recognized by the lawyers they handle cases with and against, and the Judges before whom they appear, as among the very best in their jurisdiction.
Through his practice of Family Law, Estate Planning, Tax, Probate and Trust Administration, his work in support of entrepreneurs and companies in commercial matters as well as his services in Alternative Dispute Resolution - both as a Mediator and as a Special Master, Alan’s dedication and contributions to the profession of law has made an impact on the lives of many.
Alan leads the Family Law group at Henson Efron by bringing the highest levels of professionalism, intellect and advocacy to his cases. Alan and his colleagues share their collective knowledge and experience in family law through writing legal articles, teaching at local law schools and at numerous CLEs. They have proactively impacted the family law community and the clients they serve.
- Minnesota State Bar Association; Family Law and Civil Litigation Sections
- Hennepin County Bar Association; Family Law and Civil Litigation Sections
- American Bar Association; Family Law and Litigation Sections
Professional /Academic Honors
- Fellow, American College of Trial Lawyers
- Listed in Best Lawyers in America since 1995, Family Law and Family Law Mediation
- Selected as Minnesota Family Law lawyer of the year 2009 by Best Lawyers in America
- Selected as Top 10 Minnesota Super Lawyers 2005, 2009-2017
- Selected for inclusion in Minnesota Super Lawyers from inception-2017
- Selected as one of 2012 Minnesota Lawyer Attorneys of the Year
- *AV® Preeminent peer review rated by Martindale-Hubbell
- Order of the Coif, University of Minnesota Law School Minnesota Law Review
- Director of Legal Aid Clinic at the University of Minnesota
- Co-Author, “Insights into Family Law,” monthly column in Minnesota Lawyer
- Co-Author, “Working with Financial Experts,” Family Law Financial Deskbook 2010 and Second Edition 2014
- Co-Author, “Confronting Ethical Issues in Practice: The Trial Lawyer’s Dilemma,” ABA’s Family Law Quarterly, 2011 Spring Edition
- Numerous Continuing Legal Education seminars on family law topics including: valuation of businesses, income taxes and marital dissolution, and determination and division of retirement programs in marital dissolutions
- Member of Board of Visitors, University of Minnesota Law School (1989 – 1995)
- Active Member of Edina Morningside Community Church, past Moderator of Church and past member of the Boards of Trustees and Stewardship
Other Professional Experience
- Expert Witness – has testified as an expert witness in legal malpractice cases in Minnesota state courts and has been retained to provide expert testimony in other cases which were resolved without trial.
- Adjunct Professor of Law, Family Law Negotiation Seminar, University of Minnesota (2000-2003)
- Adjunct Professor of Law, Writing Instructor, University of Minnesota (mid-1970s)
- Adjunct Professor of Law, Trial Practice Instructor, William Mitchell College of Law (mid-1970s)
Assistant Contact Info
Mary K. Petersen; (612) 252-2834
*”AV Preeminent is a certification mark of Reed Elsevier Properties Inc., used in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell® certification procedures, standards and policies.”
- Business Law
- Administrative Proceedings before the Minnesota Board of Medical Practice
- Estate and Tax Planning for Individuals
- United States Supreme Court
- United States Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit
- United States District Court for the District of Minnesota
- J.D., summa cum laude, University of Minnesota Law School, 1973
- B.A., cum laude, Minot (N.D.) State College, 1970