J.R. Maddox practices intellectual property and corporate law, focusing on building and protecting clients’ business value through creative and efficient legal work.
J.R. handles a variety of counseling and transactional matters including high-stakes complex intellectual property licensing and technology related agreements, privacy and data security issues, helping clients buy or sell businesses where intellectual property is a key component, detailed corporate due diligence and other investment analysis, and forming new businesses. J.R. advises clients regarding types of potential intellectual property rights available to them, and then guides them through the process of securing those rights, thereby creating valuable business assets. J.R.’s experience includes advising one of North America’s largest food companies on forward-looking intellectual property issues, as well as developing tools to guide product development and streamline in-house legal affairs.
J.R. has litigation experience across all types of intellectual property law including patent, trademark, copyright, false advertising, and trade secret. His experience ranges from successfully representing one of the world’s largest pharmaceutical companies in ANDA litigation arising under the Hatch-Waxman Act, to successfully representing a celebrity inventor, patent holder, and entrepreneur.
J.R.'s thorough understanding of technology, law, and business allows him to add real value to a client’s enterprise as well as provide clients with practical, cost effective legal solutions.
- Minnesota State Bar Association
- Minnesota Intellectual Property Law Association
- American Intellectual Property Law Association
- Social Media Rules of Engagement: Developing Policies for Health-Related Organizations to Effectively Engage Audiences Online (Panelist) May 26, 2011
- Practical and Ethical Issues of Legal Outsourcing, Michigan State Bar Annual Meeting, presented September 18, 2009
- IP Offshoring – Don’t Worry You Won’t Lose Your Job; BPG Radio; www.bpgradio.com; January 30, 2008
- The Inventor Who Died and Other Mysteries – Resolved, Intellectual Property Today, Vol. 15, No. 1 (January 2008), pp. 36-38
- Using Copyright and Trade Secret Law to Protect Patent Applications: Either -Or No More, The Patent Lawyer, Vol. 2, Issue 1 (Spring 2005), pp. 4-7
Assistant Contact Info
Roxanne Spiess; (612) 252-2831
- Business Law
- Data Security and Privacy Law
- Trademark Registration and Enforcement
- Copyright Registration and Enforcement
- IP Enforcement - Internet and Social Media
- Buying and Selling Data
- United States Patent and Trademark Office
- Minnesota State Bar
- Minnesota Federal Bar
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Wisconsin
- J.D., University of Minnesota Law School, 2003
- B.S., University of Wisconsin, Madison, 1999